spoon

On-Hand Essentials

Category: , , , ,

Just because you're cooking for one doesn't mean you have to shop for one or eat like a college freshman. Sure, there will be times when you desire that picture-perfect steak or have an insatiable craving for boxed mac & cheeze (hey, it happens), but it's far better to buy quantity (and quality) rather than going to the market every day looking for dinner.


One of the things that buying a lot of something allows me to do is portion it out. I know that doesn't sound all that fascinating and I know it really isn't an earth-shattering revelation. Doesn't matter. I can buy a 3-pack of pork chops at the grocery store or I can buy a 9-pack of double-cut (meaning they're twice as thick) for just a couple dollars more at a wholesale club (Costco, in my case.) Double-thick chops are great for stuffing, but if I cut them in half I'll have 18 chops at a fraction of the cost if I bought them from the local store. This goes for just about any protein. Properly prepped, wrapped & frozen, and I'm good for months. The only exception to this is fish. I never buy fish unless I intend to cook it within the next 24 hours, and I only buy it fresh, never frozen.


Now that I've gotten the (on average) most expensive part of a meal taken care of, what else do I need on hand? What things should I keep in stock that can be used in a variety of meals? Typically I try to have at least two frozen veggies (peas and sweet corn), 3-4 Russet potatoes, shallots (instead of onions), eggs, at least two types of cheese (Cheddar & Parmesan), various dried pastas & rices, and bacon. Add in a few secondary essentials (milk, 1/2 & 1/2, fresh & dried herbs and spices, bread) and I've got a wide array of cuisines to choose from: risottos, frittatas, chicken carbonara, gratins, etc. It really just comes down to what you're willing to make and how inventive you want to be.


Another thing - If the cost of stocking up on things is daunting or storage space is lacking, go in on it with a friend. I used to go halfsies on whole beef tenderloins with my father so I could enjoy the product without going broke at the same time.


Now, I've mentioned steak a couple times. One of life's great pleasures is a perfectly prepared steak. One of life's great tragedies is a horribly prepared piece of shoe-leather that was once a great steak. I can't in good conscience make a post on a cooking blog without offering a recipe, so here it is:


Butter-basted Pan-seared Steak with Sauteed Mushrooms (aka, heart-attack goodness)

6-8 ounce strip steak or filet
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (porcini or baby bella)
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon canola oil
salt & pepper


Season both sides of the steak with salt & pepper then set it aside (covered) on the counter for 20-30 minutes. Heat the oil in a stainless steel skillet (no non-stick!) over medium-high to high heat. Be sure to swirl the oil to evenly coat the pan. When the oil 'ripples' and just begins to smoke, tilt the pan slightly so the oil pools & place the steak in the pan. (Pooling the oil away from where you place the steak will prevent a lot of spitting and splashing when it hits the pan.) Level the pan and don't touch the steak for at least 3 minutes.


Using tongs, flip the steak and place the butter on top. Once the butter is melted, tilt the pan slightly and use a spoon to continuously baste the steak for 3-4 minutes. After 7-8 minutes total cooking time (steak will be medium rare) set the steak aside (covered) for 7-10 minutes. Meanwhile, add the mushrooms to the pan. You shouldn't need to add any additional oil or butter, but feel free to add more if you think it needs it. Saute the mushrooms until they are browned, adding salt & pepper to taste.


Plate the mushrooms, add the steak on top or along side and enjoy!

@GeekBoston

Update: @ashkalei and I didn't discuss our opening posts, and it just so happened that we had similar thoughts despite opposite opinions. For the record, I completely agree that buying fresh and local is great, especially for produce. Certain things should only be bought fresh and in small batches so they don't spoil. When you do buy in bulk, make sure it's something that can be stored or frozen long-term. Peppers, tomatoes and the like don't hold up well to being frozen. Believe me, I've tried. =)

Comments (0)

Post a Comment